Friday, March 27, 2009

mail

I love mail. I get really excited to check the mailbox every day even though I almost never have any reason to be expecting anything. When something does come, besides a coupon for a store I never shop at, it's really wonderful. But I also love the other half of mail, which is making it for all of my lovely friends.

About six months ago, I started documenting the things I sent out, because I tend to spend a long time on them and then sometimes (hardly ever) they get lost, which is terrible. I also thought it would be fun (and useful) to keep track of what I sent to people, so I would know if sending more Garfield cartoons would be an annoyance or a delight. A lot of times I get too excited while making the mail and I seal up the envelope (usually I make the envelopes out of magazine pages for added fanciness) before I take a picture of the contents. Sometimes I even mail it without taking a picture of the envelope, so I sometimes get a message from someone saying "thanks for sending that thing" or "I'm such a bad friend, I totally owe you mail" and I've forgotten that I sent them anything at all. Not a perfect system, but at least now I remember SOME things I send out.

So I thought I would share a few pictures from my mail documentation project, to encourage you to send me something. (Just kidding. Sort of.) You can click on the photos to enlarge.






The tiny envelopes got put inside of a pinata with a bunch of other letters for a birthday present. In case any of you are wondering, my birthday is September 22nd. 

3 comments:

m. said...

I think the thing that makes me feel most independent is getting mail with my name on it. Even if it's just coupons for an oil change for my pickup or a bill. I really love writing checks for bills and I like using good stamps for them. There's something really whimsical and wonderful about mail.

I would like to be a part of your mail exchange. It doesn't need words. I'll send you things too. I might even just send coupons.

— Mary Nguyen

emilyaldenfoster said...

Cool, Mary, send me your address and I will do the same.

Mab Widdershins said...

I almost missed the wonderful mail that you sent me because the envelope was so high-class and glossy that I mistook it for a mailing from some high-powered arts center in Palm Beach attempting to extract money from me. Now I have to stop and look at every single thing, because it might be another treasure from you. And that's okay. Really.