Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Airnuts Professbud, Child Star

I'm working on a vaudeville child star costume for myself. It now has puffy sleeves. I just need to attach all of the pieces together and maybe make an enormous bow for the back. This will undoubtedly take me 18 more weeks. I'm going to be wearing this in the golden retriever movie. Not as the golden retriever. I'm actually playing two parts, making this movie a perfect combination of Air Bud and The Nutty Professor, two movies I have never seen.



I made a wig to go with this dress, but it looked like a combination of a macaroni and cheese head and a fake dreadlock hat wearing guy. It was really bad. So I'm going to make a fall out of doll hair. Does that make sense to anyone who is alive in 2009? It is a partial wig thing.

I keep thinking "Why did I get rid of that half-used packet of doll hair that I had three years ago?" even though I have since moved four times and never until now needed half a packet of doll hair. This seemed ridiculous for an entire week, until I went to the art supply store to get a new packet. Unfortunately I went to the art supply store that is always out of everything, so they were out of blonde doll hair. They had black, white, and auburn. There wasn't even a space where the blonde hair was supposed to be. I guess I will order some from the internet, even though that seems incredibly stupid.

I recently read this book, which is about vaudeville child dance star and pack rat Doris Eaton Travis, who went on to appear in the Ziegfield Follies. She then outlived every other Ziegfield girl there ever was. She's now 104, I believe. It's a really interesting biography because it takes advantage of its subject's huge collection of newspaper clippings and photos and whatnot to tell her life story in collage form. The story is also pretty interesting with or without the wacky format. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in graphic novels, collage, or famous people from the 1920s.

No comments: