Friday, September 19, 2008

Mining Tools



I whipped up this pickaxe last night. Still needs to be painted.

When I was in 10th grade I made a model of half of the Globe Theater out of cereal boxes and tape and a broom (for the straw roof) and paint. Maybe I also did a layer of papier mache. It was probably one and a half boxes high and four boxes around, so big enough that it was really awkward to carry. When we presented our projects we were supposed to say what was difficult about what we made, and I said "it would have been easier if I had used stiffer cardboard instead of cereal boxes." The teacher looked confused and asked why I had decided on cereal boxes as a building material, and I said it was because I happened to already have some cereal boxes. This is still the way I almost always go about making things.

I did actually have some real cardboard to make the pickaxe out of, but I didn't use it because it was hard to cut. I used posterboard instead. It's stuffed with the styrofoam packing from my birthday present that I already opened, so it's slightly less likely to get smashed. I also made some other things out of that packing material, so none of it is getting thrown away. Not yet, anyway.

I got a dress form for my birthday. I was allowed to open it because I bought it for myself (although technically my mom is buying it for me as soon as she sends a check for it) and because it arrived in a box that had pictures of the contents on the outside. My birthday is Monday! I have a job interview on my birthday! I hope this year is less disastrous than my past few birthdays. If I get a job, and my niece is born, and my pie (peach and raspberry) turns out well, it might make up for the Balloogna incident and etc. But at this point I'm kind of dreading what terrible things might happen on my birthday.

My dogsuit is at the point where I look like a dog instead of a corn-dog or chicken nugget.

Whenever I start working on things, I think of more things that I want/need to make. Good thing there's still a little more than a week left to work on movie things.

By the way, even though we're filming the gold mining parts in a few weeks, the movie won't actually be finished for a long time. There's another part which I haven't started working on yet and which will require a lot of work.

2 comments:

BJ Walsh said...

You could be a guest blogger on http://slicingheaven.com and post pictures of your pies there. Let me know. The world just can't have too much pie. Or poetry. Or golf. I hope my b-day gift to you shows up in time. If not, just extend the buzz until it gets there.

emilyaldenfoster said...

I do have a story about birthday pie that I could grace your blog with. And pie pictures, of course. But I'll have to come up with a good theme for my upcoming pie. Besides delicious, of course.